When I was a child, I could always count on a handful of things. I knew I would have milk at dinner. I knew my way around a Nintendo Powerpad. I knew we'd go to church on Sunday. I knew we'd have to walk home from school. I knew my Dad would be working hard 24/7. I knew my mom would work just as hard. I knew my sister could say something to piss me off and it'd work every time (only in hind sight do I know this!). I knew singing would make me feel like $1,000,000. I knew I loved children. I knew I hated school and would put off any and all homework to watch The Koalas on Nickelodeon. I knew where to find my mom in the wee hours of the morning... not in bed, but at the kitchen table, cozy in her robe, already on her second cup of fresh brewed coffee, leaning over the SF Chronicle (and in the old days, smoking a cigarette. Boy, am I glad THOSE days are gone!).
What I know now is that I have become my mother. Jason works the morning shift, so he is leaving the house at 5:30am. On more than one occasion, I realize this could very well be my only opportunity to have a HOT cup of coffee (not a luke warm one that is interupted by a poopy diaper), do a blog update, and get some reading time in for school. If I had known what those early morning hours were like for my mom, I would have not gotten up to "bug her" rather I would have gotten up to pour her a cup of coffee, kiss her on the cheek and tell her to enjoy her "Mommy Time".
And here I thought I'd hate becoming my mother....
Katie that is so sweet and heartfelt. I'm sure your mother is very proud of you!
ReplyDeleteawwe. You got me choked up! Can't wait to see you guys on Thrusday!
ReplyDelete