Our NYE was very uneventful as Jason had to work at 6am today. We had a yummy dinner (Swiss Enchiladas!), tucked Faith in to bed at 7:30, snuggled in bed until 9pm when we kissed for the East Coast New Year, and drifted off around 10:30pm. Yes, totally "boring" by NYE's standards, it was a very nice night.
At 12am, all hell broke loose. Faith started crying because some idiot (who OBVIOUSLY doesn't have children) started shooting of an airhorn and setting off bottle rockets, which made a neighborhood dog start barking. Too bad he didn't just start barking and then stop... he could still be heard at 2:30am!
Jason suggested I go in (again, he had to work EARLY) to calm her because she may have been scared by all the commotion. 30 minutes later, she was still awake. an hour, she was still awake. Co-sleeping didn't work. Rocking her didn't work. Rubbing her back in the crib didn't work. Sleeping on her floor and "shhh"ing her everytime she made a noise didn't work. NOTHING worked. In fact, I felt that every tactic we tried did nothing but reinforce her behavior. So, at 2:45am, we told her we loved her and that we'd see her in the morning, and closed the door. She finally went back to sleep at 4am. Jason got NO sleep, and even turned a movie on at 3:30am because sleep was fruitless.
Let me just say (in case you don't agree with our employing this tactic), it was the last straw. For the past few months, she has been resisting going to sleep. Once we get her to sleep, she is fine, but it's quite a battle to get her there in the first place. Last night, before all this started, we had already decided to not give in to her protest cries, because this was a terrible habit to have and we want to nip it in the bud. So, while 2:45am may have been a STUPID time to start the training, we were at our wits end. So, don't hate... I already feel bad enough already. I mostly feel badly for Jason, who is protecting the citizens of D-ville on 2 hours sleep.
And I have decided something for all New Years Celebrations to come. If I happen to go to, or host, a party in a residential area, I will no longer partake in festivities outside of the walls of that house. I am guilty of running outside as the clock strikes 12, just because I can, and "whooping it up" for a few minutes. Well, those few minutes could translate into HOURS for other residents, and now I know better.
Sorry if this is a long and rambling post... Running on very little steam here.
Anyway, I hope your 2008 is even better than your 2007.
You poor, poor thing...and POOR J. No hatin here- I am a fellow-didn't-get-much sleeper. Hopefully Faith will take a nice long nap for ya today.
ReplyDeleteHey Babe! No hating here ... Faith is a clone of her daddy! Tell her goodnight and xoxo her and she will quickly figure it out! You are incredible parents so don't let this little test throw you. Take a look in the mirror and repeat "I am in charge"!
ReplyDeleteYour last paragraph took the words out ofmy mouth! I feel like an a$s for all those years of partying outside at midnight.
ReplyDeleteI hope you all get some rest soon!! Happy New Year!!
Hope all three of you are getting back on track and being your smiley selves once again.
ReplyDeleteWe only did the bang the pot thing once you were old enough to join us, remember?
Gram said it so well, you know I am on board. Hope she is trained by Saturday...LOL
Love ya
Nana