It would appear we have a case of Empty Nest Syndrome!
I posted earlier this week about the birds we had nesting in our hanging planter. Today, we came home from an errand and noticed only one of the babies was in the nest! We knew the dogs hadn't gotten to him because they were inside while we were gone (as per usual). I found the little guy a few minutes later in one of our other planters, that is sitting on the deck. We thought he had fallen out! We made sure not to touch him (or his parents would reject him), and kept Faith at a safe distance.
Soon enough, he spread those new wings and flew over to land on our BBQ! His Mommy and Daddy stayed on the ground, being very protective of their little flier.
His Sister, who was still in the nest, started looking wistfully over the edge, obviously lonely. For the first time in my life, I got to watch a bird take its first flight! She hopped right over the edge and spread those wings! The rest of her family ran the greet her! It was so awesome to watch the family as they wandered off into the sunset together (ok, so it was 3:30pm, but "the sunset" sounded much more romantic).
*sigh* I didn't think I'd miss those silly ol' birds, but I do. I think I'll feel this way again in 17 years and Faith is off to college.
No comments:
Post a Comment