Saturday, April 05, 2008

What A Night!

For the first time since getting home on Monday, Jason and I were both home last night to put Faith down for bed. All of her bedtimes this week have been VERY difficult on us, taking no less than 90 minutes to get her to sleep. Yesterday, she even skipped her nap completely, despite all efforts to poop her out at a park playdate with her nearest and dearest (minus a few).

We decided to try for an early bedtime (6pm), because the earlier she goes down, USUALLY, the better she sleeps; usually being the operative word. She took about 30 minutes to actually be asleep in her crib. Success! Jas and I caught up on some TV, and turned out the lights at our usual 10:30pm.

Then the clock strikes 12:32am. Screaming. Like, alot. Usually, when she cries out in the middle of the night, she goes back to sleep in about 5 minutes. Usually being the operative word. 15 minutes after waking up, Jason gets up to snuggle with her. You know, to reassure her we are still there. An hour later, I hear more crying. He had gone to leave the room, and Faith didn't like that one bit.

At 1:30, I went in to relieve him. I had brought in 2 pillows and 2 blankets, and set up shop on the floor in her room. She was quiet and just snuggled sweetly with me. However, this cuddly sweetness did not change the fact that I was on the very hard floor. I never fully fell asleep, but I did drift off for a time, only to wake up to find Faith snoozing soundly on my chest. I got up (which is no easy feat with 20+lbs of "dead weight" on your chest that cannot be moved more than an inch without all hell breaking loose...), and FINALLY got her in the crib. She let out a wail, and I gently "shushed" her. A few shushes later, and some intensely turtle-paced creeping to get out of the room, and I was on my way to the comfort of my bed again. A glance at the clock read 3:32am. Gee, only 3 hours later...

I happen to think she is going to EXPLODE with language in the next few weeks. Yes, she is teething, but not so much that she is super whiny during the day. And usually when she has difficulty sleeping at night, she is hitting a milestone. (You guessed it... usually being the operative word). When she would be resisting sleep this time, she was not whiney, rather she'd just be talking up a storm. I think that big ol' brain of hers has trouble shutting off at night. It could be worse, right? It could never turn on...

No comments:

Post a Comment