Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"Now We're Even"

I took the Explorer to one of those self-wash places a few days ago because it was nasty! I pulled in, collected $4, 2 dollar bills, and 8 quarters, and went to the token machine. As I was trying to cram my 2 crumpled bills in (and you KNOW it didn't take them on the first try!), I noticed a big ol' fat wallet on top of the machine. I opened it up and saw school pictures of some kids. The guy next to me was washing his car with two kids that looked eerily like the ones in the wallet. So, I walk over to him, with Faith on my hip, and ask if he lost his wallet. He had, and I felt good about my good deed... I know what a PITA it can be to lose your wallet!

I went back to cramming said bills into the machine and then noticed the dang thing ONLY took bills!! So, I went with my stupid 8 quarters to the guy who I had just saved hours, if not days considering how big ol' fat the wallet was, of pain, heartache, and irritation of sitting on the phone with credit card customer service people canceling his cards in case his stupidity had landed said big ol' fat wallet in the hands of some schmuck.

But I digress...

Again, armed/saddled (depends on how you look at it!) with Faith on my hip. I went to the guy and asked if he had 2 dollar bills to trade for my 8 quarters. He said he has spent all his singles on getting tokens to wash his car. Then, suddenly, a light went on in his head (I swear, I saw a lightbulb magically appear over his head). He said, "Oh, I've got 2 tokens leftover!". He proceeded to trade with me and said...

"Now We're Even"

... with a big ol' stupid grin on his face, almost as big as his big ol' fat wallet.

Yeah, dude.... NOW, we're even.

You don't think offering to pay to wash my car (a WHOPPING $4) would have been a bit more "even"? Or better yet, have your 2 able bodied sons help you wash the car as repayment for the nice lady who returned a wallet instead of leaving it to fall into the hands of Joe Schmuck? No... apparently TRADING useless tokens for useful quarters makes us EVEN.

I would been just FINE had he not said "now we're even". I don't go around doing good things to get paid back. I always think it'll come back to me, or to someone that I love. But seriously....

Big Ol' Fat Dummy.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to society at large for utterly ruining the sweet, kind woman that was KT and changing her into the cynical, smart ass (albeit entertaining) that she now is.

    Actually, I'm like a proud daddy right now. Hehe. ;)

    ReplyDelete