Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Blessing of Motherhood

I awoke gently this beautiful Mother's Day morning to the songs of my Big Girl drifting through the house. I was left to myself as her Daddy got up to tend to her needs, another blessing. Faith gave me an amazingly fulfilling gift... a gift that showed me what I have done the past 2 years, 7 months, and 4 weeks has been a good thing for her positive development. That, while I was teaching and nurturing her in my best way possible, that it was right. She gave me dry sheets. 

Faith slept, for the first time at bedtime, without a diaper. 

When I was expecting Ziggy, oh those many moons ago, I was terrified of 2 things; Squirmy Baby Baths and Potty Training. The squirmy baths were easily conquered with the help of a devoted father and me instinctively tapping into my mothering abilites. Potty Training? A whole other story. 

I had another 18 months to freak out about the prospect of jumping that hurdle. I scoff at my worries now, as it all seems like a thing of the past. To be fair, I do feel other parenting worries creep in my head time to time about the prospect of raising TWO children! But I have to save that for another post.

After dinner tonight, I asked my very independant Big Girl to please go sit on the toilet. She said "No, I'm fine." until I told her "You can do it all by yourself!". Without another word, she walked down the hall, into her bathroom (at which point I got up to silently watch her), placed her potty chair in the correct direction on the toilet seat, moved her stepstool into position, stepped up, and began pulling her skirt and panties down (getting them both "caught" on her little booty until they were stretched so much there was no where for them to go but down), turned around, and did her business. I watched as she got up, wiped, shimmied her skirt and panties back up, and flushed. 

She did it. Start to finish, she did it. 

I can say that my Big Girl has given me the best gift a Mother could ask for on Mother's Day; an outward sign of successful teaching. 

I love being a mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment