Sunday, May 17, 2009

Random Musings

I am 25 weeks pregnant with TicTac, which means, according to my "Great Expectations" pregnancy book, I am in the Third Trimester! When the baby is 177 days old (27weeks, 1 day), I am 2/3 of the way through! It will continue to amaze me that the First Trimester creeps by, while you are perched over the toilet, but it feels like a split second to make it from 14 weeks (start of the Second Trimester) to today. The Second Trimester is supposed to be "pregnancy heaven". That is, most of your icky pregnancy symptoms are a thing of the past, but you have this beautiful growing belly without being the size of a house! Third Trimester brings on a whole new set of aches, pains, and bathroom breaks. I'm not sure I'm ready for it, but I guess I don't have much choice!

We bought a dresser and sidetable for Faith's Big Girl Room yesterday, so I feel as if I can start thinking about moving her clothes into the new room (though we have a LONG way to go before it's move in read. Anyone have a Shabby Chic 4-poster Spindle bed they want taken off their hands?).  This morning, as I was putting away my first load of Baby Supplies (freshly washed cloth diapers for spit up cloths) in the nursery, I cleaned out Faith's footie PJs, since she has been out of diapers for a week now (no accidents!) and we use the pants/shirt sets so she can use the bathroom quickly on her own. I thought "I'll put these away for TicTac", as I do so very often (with toys, books, clothes, supplies, etc). 

Then it hit me. 

I'm having another baby!

I know... almost 2/3 of the way through this pregnancy, and it only just hit me. I am going to do the sleepless nights, the constant flow of diapers, the spit-up, the crying, the no-necklace-wearing-cuz-of-grabby-hands, the constant brestfeeding, the shhhhhhhing, the neverending rotation of clothes from growth AND from messes, the tantrums, the potty training, the discipline... the list goes on and on. 

But, as I go through my mini-freak out, I remind myself, I am also going to do the first scent of baby, the tiny fingers grasping mine, the first smiles/coos/wet kisses/hugs, watching TicTac roll/crawl/stand/walk/run/skip/jump/dance for the first time, the late nights of gazing at my baby, knowing that God has given me this miracle of life and finally understanding what that means (for the second time), the feeling of accomplishment when TicTac does something so wildly impressive to me that I just marvel at it, knowing I had a hand in helping him/her achieve their goals, however small they may be. Again... the list goe on and on. 

And as I write out my list of "holy craps" and "holy miracles", I remember what it was like anticipating the birth of Faith. I remember feeling so scared about the unknown, but knowing I was headed in the right direction. I remember being so strong in my convictions that we would do things XYZ way but when the time came to it and we did things ABC way, I felt gratitude that I was able to be flexible to the needs of my child and my family. 

I just need to remember this when it all starts again. 

1 comment:

  1. Here's the real truth: You are a FANTASTIC mom, wife, daughter and friend. Wanna know the secret to your success? You observe, take input .. and then do it the way that feels right to you. Nobody (and I do mean nobody) tells Kate how to do anything. Hummm - sounds rather like the Princess. You have figured it out beautifully and you will do it all over again gloriously.

    I was sure I was going to be a great mom - right up until the time I was being moved from labor to delivery. Then I freaked out! I doubted myself to the max. But, lo and behold, I was (and continue to be) a great mom.

    Your doubts/fears are completely to be expected. Muse at them, put them in their proper place, and you will find, yet again, that it is absolutely what you were called for.

    I love you Kate and watching you move through this is a real and true blessing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete