I AM NOT DONE BEING PREGNANT!
I have always wanted a "big" family (big = 3 or more kids) because I grew up on the opposite coast of the rest of my extended family. We had to fly to the East Coast to have big family picnics/BBQs/Reunions and such, otherwise, it was often just the four Parsons', and for a couple of years, my Maternal Grandparents (until they moved back to Rhode Island).
However, the more Jason and I think/pray/meditate about it, we both feel in our hearts that we will remain a family of 4. Not that I am complaining one little bit about "only" having 2 kids. Far from it! We just feel that our goals for our family (getting and STAYING debt free as well as being able to be active with our kids) make it the logical choice for us.
For instance, our Ford Explorer is paid off. It fits our needs easily right now. However, we would certainly need to buy a new (read: BIGGER) car if we added a third carseat because the Explorer's backseat does not (I've tried!) fit 3 restaint systems. This isn't an option for us because we are committed to not taking out another loan (ESPECIALLY for a car!). We simply wouldn't have the resources to be able to save the cash to buy a bigger car.
Furthermore, we have always known we wanted to be done having kids by the time Jason is 40. Not to spill his beans or anything, but he turned 37 in May. That means we'd have to 1) start trying much sooner than we did this time around even though I am really liking the 3 year age difference between the kids) and 2) our projected debt pay off falls in Jason's 4oth year. So, we'd have to forgo one of those goals, neither of which are we wanting/willing to do.
A few other minor reasons include the fact that "Family Vacation Packages" are sold for families of 4, at least 2 of the kids would have to share a room since we don't see ourselves moving any time soon, and someone always has to ride alone at Great America. Plus, there is that whole over-population thing, and putting more people in than Jason and I will be taking out, so to speak, is just icing on the cake.
To be able to give our children everything we want, and to be able to live within our means, this is most likely my last pregnancy.
That means every kick, rib jab, round ligament pain I feel could be the very last. I look down at my rotund shape and thank God I am blessed with this healthy body that has grown two children, and that has given me a life I am proud of. I can deal with the annoyance of bathroom visits every 1.5-2 hours at night. I love my shape. I love my belly. I love my babies. I love my life. I could imagine myself being pregnant for the rest of my life if it wasn't for the fact that babies keep growing, and I KNOW that wouldn't be too comfortable ;)
So, for now, I'll enjoy these last few kicks and jabs.
I TOTALLY could have written this post last year. We are 99% sure we are only having 2 kids for a couple of the same reasons as you listed. Ex: vacations for families of 4, paying for 2 girls to go to college, and 2 weddings! And, I always said I wanted to be done by the time I was 30 :) And, pregnancy and I are not friends (I got morning sickness until 24 weeks, not fun) Kevin and I both come from families with 3 kids, and we always said we would have 2 or 3, but it looks like it is going to stay at 2.
ReplyDelete